The other day, I went to the California State Fair. I had a wonderful time, and as we walked inside looking at the shopping area, we came across a little storefront. It was decorated with white, wrought-iron tables outside what appeared to be a little bayou shack. There was a sign that said "Beignets, $5.00 for 2" I realized that I have always wanted to taste a beignet, and I may never get another chance. So, I ordered one (or two).
They were delicious. Whether they were authentic or not, I don't know, but sitting there under the fake overhang of the fake front porch, sharing the beignets with my husband, I could almost hear the frogs of Louisiana singing, see a 'gator tail under the porch and hear some jazz playing in the background.
And, I realized that I'd hit one of my bucket list items. And, it wasn't a movie moment or a big expensive thing. I'm not Jack Nicholson. Just something I'd always wanted to do and didn't realize it until I did it.
So, I decided to put them down. Some of them will be "reverse bucket list" items - things I've already done and didn't even think were on my bucket list. Some are things I want to do. I may shoot big on a few things and I know they won't happen. I'm okay with that. What I'm not going to put down are the things I thought I'd always dreamed of and realize aren't that important.
The truth is, I have realized my life's goals. I married a nice man, I have two wonderful children and two wonderful step-children. That is all anybody could really want and I have it. The rest is just....beignets.
Most of these things below are old. I'll keep them for posterity. But I am unable to do these things.
Ann's Bucket List
- Ride a Segway (why I haven't? Rental and insurance places insist you weigh 110 pounds, something I have never done in my entire life)
Have an Op-Ed published in a newspaper Find a marrow donor for Kurt Lee (well, not personally, but you know...)
- Be on a TV show or movie set (SET, not in a show). No, I don't want to harass famous people, I am interested in the technical stuff behind it. I'd like to be a Walker on the Walking Dead
Taste a beignet
- Have a perfectly trained dog that will do tricks and everything I say. (In process but not going well because I got too tired to continue lessons)
- One last family trip: a cruise (or easy on the body trip) with my husband, children and step-children and their spouses.
- Chanel bag. Or Balenciaga. Maybe Hermes. Maybe all. :)